Friday, November 7, 2008

Greetings from Austin St.

Daily auto update. Travis’s car is in the driveway. Appraisal was done today. Geni’s car was pronounced totaled. Insurance was renewed yesterday morning so Travis’ accident was covered. We only carry liability so repairs to Travis’ car are not covered, but the postal truck he hit should be covered. Good news: Geni and Travis are both just fine with no injuries. Praise God!!!

Today has been a beautiful day of fall weather and the children in my class have been bringing me leaves from their yards. I have been placing them on the weather bulletin board in the class room. I love fall colors and the leaves remind me of that scripture from Ecclesiastes that speaks of “for everything there is a season.” I love when the weather gets a bit cooler and the leaves change colors. The autumn season always brings a bit of a spring to my step. Speaking of springs in my step...today there was leftover cake from a baby shower in the teacher’s lounge. It was really delicious. I got a small piece and then proceeded to try and find the teacher for which I was looking. I walked very quickly around the building hunting for Stephanie and eating cake. I then wondered if you walk briskly and eat cake at the same time does it cancel the calories in the cake? I hope so!!!

Tonight we went to choir practice. Bruce and I are beginning to get back into the swing of things and return to some of the activities to which we have become involved. There is much still to do at home, but it felt really good to sing again with the Praise Team. One of the songs we worked on was “Be Still and Know that I Am God” by Steven Curtis Chapman. The words reminded me of my prayer time. I am sort of quiet before God right now. I give thanks for His Word and for His saving grace and for His abundant blessings. I pray for the people on my prayer list and then I am quiet. I think a lot about Casey. I think about how happy he is and about how much I miss him. I think about his last few days and sometimes it is hard to remember before cancer and how Casey became the focus of our thinking and all of the events in our lives.

Hebrews 2:18 says, “And now He can help those who are tempted, because He, Himself suffered and was tempted.” Last night I shared how much I loved it that Jesus (God on foot) came into our lives as a baby through a family. Families go through so many things. Families struggle. Families have times of great joy. Families disagree and gather together in times of need, celebration and tragedy. Jesus came to earth to share in all of these things first hand. Everything that we go through in life Jesus went through it first. So He understands all of our emotions from the mountain top joy to the deepest depths of our despair and loss. Jesus suffered loss when His cousin, John the Baptist, was murdered and so He can understand our suffering when we lose our closest ones. Someone who has experienced loss in their own life is equipped to comfort someone else who has experienced loss (maybe that is why I feel called to the hospital chaplaincy ministry). I now really understand the verse in Matthew 5: 4 and why Jesus could say this verse with such conviction and truth. The verse says, “Blessed are they who mourn for God will comfort them.” Jesus knew He would suffer loss. He would suffer the loss of friends. He would suffer betrayal by His own disciple. He would suffer denial by a close follower.

Because God came to earth to live among us He has full understanding of all of the things we go through. He has loving compassion for us and His precious tender mercies encircle us like the big warm arms of a kind and loving Father who loves His children and wants to help us through our hurts, dry our tears and help us heal. He wants to celebrate in our greatest times of joy. So, friends, He invites us and tells us in His Word that He is there. He loves us and no matter what trial, temptation, grief, sorrow, joy or elation, pain or ease we are experiencing. He will stay with us, giving us comfort and peace, while raising our joy to new heights. Praise God for His compassion and His heart of love for all of us no matter what is going on in our lives. God has an amazing journey to lead us through.

So friends, let us all take joy in the journey. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

PS This is the weekly Viking update. The final game of the regular season is tomorrow night at Lamar Stadium when we play Martin HS. The game begins at 7:30. Mom and Daddy, Ken and Sheena will be there tomorrow night in support of Travis and the mighty Vikings. It is also Senior Night as well as Gold night. Senior night means that Bruce and I will be on the field with Travis at 6:45. I will be wearing Travis’ game jersey and Bruce will be wearing Travis’ letter jacket. We will be introduced on the field. If you come to the game wear something gold in support of the mighty Vikings. If we beat Martin by at least 10 points, we advance to the playoffs. Go Vikes!!

Also, Geni will come to Burton Hill after class in the morning to help judge the History Fair. Thanks Geni. Love you all, Gaylene.

No comments: