Thursday, November 6, 2008

Greetings from Austin St.

Around our house life is never dull and there always seems to another adventure just around the corner. Tonight I sent Travis shopping for a new pair of jeans to wear to sing with his choir at the Veteran’s Day Concert tomorrow at school. He phones about 45 minutes later to tell me he has gone one-on-one with an 18-wheeler. I thought he was teasing me. But nought was the case. Travis is just fine. His car is a mess, but he is fine. No ticket was issued, police officers were dispatched, a fire truck was present and soon left the scene. Bruce and I met him at the accident site (Fielder and Randol Mill). Insurance information was exchanged and all will proceed from that point. Travis will be driving the little Corsica until such a time as we can get his care repaired. The engine seems to be unaffected and only body damage occurred. As my daddy’s insurance man used to say when my brother or I wrecked yet another vehicle, “Jerry, cars are replaceable and repairable, but sons and daughters are not.” I spoke those words to Travis and Bruce tonight. We give thanks that he is unharmed. Praise God from whom all blessings flow.

Tonight I looked over my left shoulder at the table sitting in my dining room. It is covered in graded and ungraded papers. I am working on getting caught up at both school (where I teach) and Brite where I am attempting to get through Theology I. I will take my mid-term on Saturday after the extravaganza at church. My professor is such a great guy. He told me to take the test when I was ready. He is emailing the test to me on Saturday morning and I will take it on Saturday afternoon. I ask for your prayers. I was in the process of preparing for the test when the disease began to ravage Casey’s body. In fact I was supposed to take my mid-term on Tuesday the 14th. I haven’t looked at the material in a while, so I have some major studying to do in preparation. So again I ask you prayers. I am a fairly good spiritual writer, but I am not a really good scholarly writer.

Hebrews 1:1-2 says, “In the past God spoke…many times and in many different ways. But now…God has spoken to us through His Son.” I have never read this scripture before tonight, but I have often had the thought in this scripture. God spoke through so many people. He spoke through Abraham, Moses, Davis, Elijah, Jeremiah and through so many “people” in the Old Testament. All of these people had personal encounters with God, the Lord of Hosts. They witnessed miraculous feats in nature and mystical events too amazing to possibly explain. The thing is “they“ did not get it.

If you read the Old Testament, a leader comes on board and decides to follow God’s commands and the people sort of clean up their act and do better for a while. And then that king dies and another comes in his place and decides to participate in pagan ritual and the “people” fall away and forget the miracles to which they were witness or at least the stories were handed down as time passed. This is a continuously repeated pattern in the Old Testament. This has always really bugged me. How could you not believe and follow if you have been witness to the parting of the Red Sea, a burning bush that was not consumed, David slaying Goliath, the writing on the wall with Daniel. God spoke to His people in so many ways and they did not get it. He even told them through the prophets that He was coming in a new way. And they still did not get it. And this plan of working through a completely human person did not work as God had hoped.

It was through a maiden and a stable that God showed up. God became a man to show mankind how to live. God disguised Himself as a man and lived in a tiny village where He grew up with a family. I so love that God chose to come into creation as a created being Himself. He came into the world just like the rest of us. He came in through a family to prove His love for the world. I think that is why God holds families so dear. As God liveed His life on earth, He walked among people, not ranting and raving as did some of the prophets, but as a leader who walked among the towns and villages just to say I love you and to teach people about His heart for them as His children. When the day came for Him to be on the cross, His mother was there. I am sure that heaven wept and the angels were silent as God hung on that cross. His earthly job was finished. He did what he came to do which was to tell us that even in our failures there is forgiveness, hope and a future. He could not effectively tell this through a prophet. He had to come and do it Himself. What an amazing journey God had on this earth in the body of Jesus.

What does this say for us? Do we get it or are we like those people of old? Are we “duh-ciples?” Or are we the body of Christ sent here to carry on the inherited work of our heavenly Father? God hung on that cross so we would never have to, so that we could be forgiven and loved completely forever. Our journey begins anew every day.

Take joy in the journey. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.
Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

PS The former nurse of my school, Sharon James, is having a double mastectomy on Friday morning. The surgery is to take 6—8 hours. Her oncologist tells her at the conclusion of the surgery she will be cancer free. She will still need some chemotherapy and reconstruction procedures will begin immediately. She has a husband and two children. I ask you to pray for her and her family. Thanks. Always, Gaylene.

2 comments:

kimmy said...

Gaylene,Bruce,Travis,Geni,

God be with yall at this time,

Travis i pray that you and your car will be ok, and your radio too.

Gaylene once again i just want to tell you that i have taken these journal entrys and applied them in some way to my life. and its amazing what god can do. God does put people in paths for a reason we dont know why maybe until later down the road. now i know why and i will share that with you.

THANK YOU.
LOVE YA ALL,
KIMMY

TRAVIS HOPE YOU ARE OK BUD.

Al Rearick said...

"Duh"-sciple.... I like that. Think I'll make a card that says that:

Al Rearick
Lifelong "Duh"-sciple