Friday, August 1, 2014


Greetings from Austin Street
TGIF today God is first! And Happy August!  All is well here at 811. Tonight I prepared lobster macaroni and cheese.  I only made half of the recipe to lower the cost and there are only two of us. (tons of leftovers!) I have seen it all over the Food Network and when I found cooked lobsters on sale at Kroger I thought it was time.  It is (was) really delicious.  I am anxious to find out how it tastes reheated for leftovers.  Perhaps tomorrows lunch with a salad…

August:  “Don’t ever stop thinking about what is truly worthwhile and worthy of praise.” Philippians 4: 8

Dear God, You have a name I can call on for everything I need. You know all things. Please help me to understand your Word and your will for me. Encourage me according to my deepest need. Lord you are so good and your mercies endure forever.  Thank you for your Word that speaks to me when I am in need of comfort, guidance, encouragement and affirmation. Thank you for your promises of strength that are needed to overcome the struggles in this life. And Lord, thank you for the hope and comfort that you give each day.  Lord, Travis and Sarah will travel tomorrow to New Braunfels I ask for travel mercies and a wonderful weekend as they celebrate Geni’s birthday and worship with Carme.  I love you Lord, in Jesus’ name, amen.

One of the questions that is a possibility at an ordination interview is “Who is and what if anything do we know about God?”  When I ponder this question the first thing that comes to mind is “I AM.”  It is the name that God identified himself to Moses at the burning bush.  God means different things at different times in our lives. My devotion tonight offers some of the names of God. These names are a direct response to the ways God can help us. “When we need God’s healing touch call on Jehovah-Rapha, the Lord your healer.  When you are confused about something call on Jehovah-Shalom, the Lord your peace. When you are short of energy or your finances are in bad shape, call on Jehovah-Raah, the Lord your provider.” But I think this is my favorite is “Jehovah-Nissi.” Call on this name of God when the energy level is low or we are down in the dumps and having trouble getting excited about anything. This name means, “the Lord your banner.”  When we call on this name of God we are simply asking God to be present with us and to fill us with His Holy Spirit giving us strength, joy and a renewed spirit.  I believe the banner over us is the love of God.

So my friends whatever name you use to call on God and if these Hebrew names are not memorable the good news is that God is our God . Call on Him and he will not only show up, but will answer. God is good and love wins.

“God said to Moses, I AM WHO I AM.”  He said further, ‘Thus you shall say to the Israelites, ‘I AM has sent me to you.”
Exodus 3: 14
Take joy in the journey praying as we go. Calling on the name(s) of God and claiming His banner of love over us. Wear comfortable shoes and get some sleep.  Love you, Bruce and Gaylene



No comments: