Wednesday, June 13, 2012


Happy Wednesday! 

I am learning so much in my CPE class!  Tomorrow we go to John Peter Smith but today we toured the nursing home where I will be assigned.  The nursing home is on the hospital campus.  It is a beautiful facility with residents who were very active and very friendly.  The staff is wonderful; very friendly and upbeat and very spiritual. 

My CPE group meets for worship each morning before beginning the work day.  Today we met all of the department managers who all are committed to the mission of the hospital, “Furthering the Healing Ministry of Christ.” 

Today in our group time our teacher asked, “What is your greatest fear about CPE?”  I told them I did not like the word fear because fear is not of God.  But my greatest point of tension is the possibility of being lost in the hospital when called for a patient or family and I won’t get there fast enough.  I will learn my way around I just hope I can do it quickly enough to help those I am called to help. 

Another point of concern for me is will I have the stamina to pull the all nighters at JPS?  There is a sleep room, but I will have worked all day at Huguley and then go to JPS at 6:00 pm for the all nighter until 8:00 am, then back to Huguley to work until noon.  I remember that I chose this, but I am very much in need of your prayers to be able to serve as a chaplain.  Please, pray, pray, pray!!!

Prayer:  “Father, I pray like Jehoshaphat facing the evil coalition: “We have no power…nor do we know what to do, but our eyes are upon You” (2 Chronicles 20: 12). Father, may Your Holy Spirit teach me what to pray for and how to ask.   I place a “Help Wanted” sign over my heart.  In Christ’s name, Amen.”

“Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weaknesses.  For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.”
Romans 8: 26

How great is our God who would bring me to His Word when I am in need of an answer.  “The Spirit helps us in our weaknesses.”  I have a weakness for directions.  God will help me find my way and I must remember to pray for help and not panic.  I will also pray for strength beyond myself to keep up the energy needed to sustain the rigors of the night and help those who are in need. 

I feel like I am in need of a mountain of prayer. In our weakness we can pray.  The problem is that some of us do not pray until we are really sick or nearing death.  The good news is when we are overwhelmed with so many things to pray about or things so devastating to pray for the Holy Spirit comes to our side and takes the prayer load for us.  The Holy Spirit interprets our prayers to the Father and God will back to us in a way in which we can understand. Right now that sounds like really good news to me. 

To command this type of prayer we must pray in the authority of the name of Jesus and the blood of Christ, praying for the Holy Spirit to interpret our prayers and direct them into the will of God.  We must pray for the cleansing of our souls and the forgiveness of our sins so when we wake up we can experience the assurance that in our weakness it is the opportunity for God to reveal Himself in our prayers and in all aspects of our life.

Take joy in this new journey.  Wear comfortable shoes and get some rest. Count your blessings and say your prayers.  Love you and give thanks for all of your help and support, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.


I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: