Tuesday, June 12, 2012


Happy Monday! 

Geni just left to spend her first night in her apartment.  We gathered in our living room after dinner and gave her our blessing and sent her on her way with the reminder that her key still fits our door. 

From Jesus Calling, June 11 “Trust Me and don’t be afraid for I am your Strength and Song.”  I told my family to look at my face tonight because in a short while they may not see it very often.  I have hospital and CPE Orientation for the next couple of weeks and then the race is on. 

I am currently assigned to the Nursing Home (there is a nursing facility on the campus) and overflow floor for the Progressive Care Unit (a step down unit from ICU as patients get better). I have a weekday “on-call” at Huguley and John Peter Smith.  I am doing my weekday on-call duty on Wednesdays.  I will do Huguley on one Wednesday and JPS the next Wednesday beginning June 20 and ending on August 15.  I will have weekend on-call in both hospitals also.  At Huguley the weekend on-call is 8:00 am to 10:00 pm.  JPS is 6:00 pm until 8:00 am.  When I am not on call I do my regular assignments at Huguley. 

There are ten people in my CPE group. They are of different ethnicities, genders, ages and denominations.  Some members of the group are residents and some are interns.  Residents are chaplains assigned to these two hospitals for a year. Those people receive a salary.  Interns work for 10 weeks and earn credit hours.  They are all very nice people and lots of fun. 

Prayer:  As I awake this morning, O Lord, I give You praise for another day of life.  Thank You, Father, that I can live for You because Your Son, Jesus died for me!  May my life be a living sacrifice for You, and may my actions glorify Your name. Amen.”

“But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you.  Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His.”
Romans 8: 9

The apostle Paul had been trained in the formalities of the Law.  But it was not until Paul’s Road to Damascus experience that he understood the presence of the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. Paul wrote “if anyone is in Christ he is a new creation because he no longer lives in the flesh, but in the newness of God’s Spirit.”  Paul knew that before a person can be in Christ that they must be filled with the Holy Spirit.

Take joy in the journey.  Wear comfortable shoes and get some sleep.  Count your blessings and say your prayers.  Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.


I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: