Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Happy Tuesday!

Today I attended my first Brite convocation. Convocation is a worship service attended by Brite Students, Brite Faculty and Brite Alumnae. The dean of Brite and its president led worship with Dean Ramsey preaching the Word. She and President Williams presided over communion. I was not sure what to expect at a seminary worship service. I thought perhaps these brilliant people would speak in the sometimes lofty language of academia and I would not understand. I was wrong and asked forgiveness for making assumptions, for the blessing I received was memorable.

Interestingly enough in this Disciples of Christ, Christian Church worship service I found a great deal of Lutheran tradition, especially as we experienced the Great Thanksgiving. All of the worship leaders, especially the dean and the president, created a particularly strong spiritual presence while in worship. The theme of the service was recognizing the presence of God in all we say and do, especially with those who we encounter daily. The sermon called each of us to “pay attention” to those moments of time when the presence of God is very apparent and when the Presence is being quietly attentive. I am looking forward to other times of chapel.

Prayer: “Father, I worship You for who You are. You know me intimately, better than I know myself, and yet, You still love me unconditionally. I want to know You more. I want to hear Your voice, trust in You, and obey You, just as sheep respond to the shepherd. Amen.”

John 10: 27-29 “My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand. My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch then out of my Father’s hand.”

Recently my Mom and Dad were in the hospital (not in the same time, Praise God!). I could not be there with them during their hospital stays, but I always felt so much better when I could hear their voices, even over the phone. Listening to them in those always cheerful tones gave me hope and assurance that they would be okay and should be home before long.

Not many folks have the vocation of being a shepherd. But those who are in the sheep herding business understand those sheep really well. They know that sheep do not lead. They follow. Sheep must have a leader. Jesus tells us in this passage that we are sheep and we need to listen for His voice. Good shepherds lead their sheep to green grass. They lead them to fresh water for drinking and protect them from predators. Shepherds also go after the sheep that have wandered away.

Jesus leads us like a shepherd through this life here on the earth and then, because we have faithfully followed Him, He leads us at last into eternal life when our time on earth is complete. When we enter into eternal life we learn of the place where we can taste and see that the Lord is good. We also find that our earthly following has allowed us to follow Him in the never-ending life to come.

When we listen to His voice and obediently follow the Good Shepherd, Jesus, it gives us the assurance that God always keeps His promises and that nothing could ever “snatch” us out of His strong, loving and merciful hands. We rest in the Triune God—Father, Son and Holy Spirit to guide us through this life and into the life to come.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes. Count your blessings and say your prayers. Listen and be aware of God’s presence in each breath we take, each word we say and in each soul we meet. Pay attention! Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: