Saturday, August 20, 2011

Happy Saturday!

What a wonderful day! I went to the Brighton Anniversary Party today. I entered a drawing for a door prize. About 8:15 tonight I received a phone call from the Brighton Store telling that I won a door prize. The prize is a charm bracelet. I am going to pick it up after worship tomorrow. I am so excited!

I also attended a one day Women’s Retreat at Advent Lutheran Church today. The study was titled Renew, Reflect, Respond. The study was led by three extraordinary women, and was about several women of the Bible: Mary, the mother of Jesus, Sarah, Hagar and the woman who used the last of her oil and flour to feed Elijah in 2 Kings. These were stories of women in different stages of their lives and how their faith was increased through adversity. These women were not perfect but they each had an encounter with God and their lives were changed forever.

Prayer: Father, today, I am going to need Your grace. I know many things will come my way that will discourage me and defeat me. I am still grateful. I walk by faith and live in grace. Keep my eyes and my heart fixed on You. May Your grace sustain me. In Jesus’ matchless name, I pray. Amen.”

2 Thessalonians 2: 16, 17 “Now may our Lord Jesus Christ Himself, and our God and father, who has loved us and given us everlasting consolation and good hope by grace, comfort your hearts and establish you in every good word and work.”

The word grace is mentioned 200 times in the New Testament. 130 of those times it is spoken by the Apostle Paul. The Apostle Paul began and ended his letters with the word grace and included grace within the body of his writings. Paul understood grace very well. Paul did not live a charmed life. But in all of Paul’s writings he speaks of God as “The God of all grace.” (1 Peter 5:10) God’s grace is His loved wrapped around us in Jesus. Grace is His unmerited and unlimited favor lavished on each of us.

God sent Jesus so that we could know His love for us. Grace was declared as Jesus willingly and lovingly poured out His blood on the cross at Calvary. This love is eternal, and, just like it says in Romans, there is nothing that can separate us from the love of God. Not even ourselves and what we do that is so bad can remove or dissolve the love that God has for us. The love of God has no beginning and no end. He has always loved us and will continue to love us. His love does not change when we mess up or increase when we do the right things.

Okay, pay attention: HIS GRACE IS GREATER THAN OUR SIN.”

What a comfort and encouragement it is to know of and experience God’s grace. God’s grace is so amazing that it covers us in good times and bad, in joy and sorrow, trial and setbacks. Do you remember that gift box we have talked about with all of the gifts of God inside? We did not earn these gifts or deserve them, but they are given out the love that God has for us. Grace is given to us. We have received grace and it is ours forever.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes. Count your blessings and say your prayers. “..how precious did that grace appear the hour I first believed.” See you in worship. Love you all very much, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: