Sunday, December 19, 2010

Happy Saturday!

“You have received a positive entrance into the candidacy program.” This was the opening statement made by Steve Zwernemann, chairperson of the candidacy committee. He shared this news with me as the committee reconvened after my interview on Friday morning. I was very pleased with my gaining entrance to the program and just as nervous about the work and unknowns that are ahead of me. It was a very emotional moment for me as I realized that my teaching career will come to an end and this road to service through a different role in education will begin.

While on the weekend I found out that I was the only new entrance candidate in the Synod, but there were other candidates who were there receive endorsement (the second stage of the process) and even one candidate who was there to receive final approval. The other candidates were from Lutheran Seminaries in Iowa, Chicago and Ohio. They were really excited to be someplace without the ground being covered in snow and having to dress like Eskimos. It was a wonderful weekend and I learned a lot from the presentations made and the many chances to visit with the other students. One piece of news that I received is that there is at least one seminary that has online classes. I was greatly encouraged!

John 15: 16 “You have not chosen Me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that you should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain.”

I swear God does this to me. I am convinced that I will be able to perform this calling, I just wish I had the same confidence in all of the class work required of me and felt worthy to meet all of the requirements for ordination. There are so many changes ahead for me and frankly I am kind of uncertain about so many of the changes and the challenges this journey will present. Following the “positive entrance” announcement I began to have self doubts and a lot of wonderings about what had just happened and how am I to accomplish all of this. Then I read this passage and remembered that God chose me. God has no intention of me making this journey alone and I will not face anything that God cannot handle.

During the interview one of the pastors said, “I really see you as a hospice chaplain.” When I heard these words all of the pieces fell into place and I knew this was what I needed to hear and this could be the place in which God has chosen me to minister. I did not choose this calling, but God chose me and will use my experience with the loss of Casey and the working of the Holy Spirit to help others in their journeys.

This new journey in my life will be led by the Holy Spirit and I must believe that God will provide all I need to reach this goal of ordination to enact this calling into the ministry of Jesus Christ. I know I will have to rely on God and the prayer support of everyone as I begin this journey and throughout the process of completing my education, internship and final approval and acceptance of a call.

I cannot begin to thank all of you for the prayers and support you have supplied during this time. I simply ask you please continue to pray and ask God to lead me to walk in obedience to this amazing journey.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes. Count your blessings and say your prayers. Love you all and see you in worship, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

PS, To the ladies of the Advent Prayer Shawl Ministry – I took my prayer shawl with me and used it this weekend. Thank you all very much!

No comments: