Thursday, April 22, 2010

Happy Tuesday! (*please note that this is being posted Thursday evening, along with the post from Wednesday. My fault. Sorry. Bruce)

Matthew 28: 1-3 “ Early on Sunday morning as the new day was dawning, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went out to visit the tomb. Suddenly there was a great earthquake! For an angel of the Lord came down from heaven, rolled aside the stone, and sat on it. His face shone like lightning and His clothing was as white as snow.”

I know this was part of the passage from last night, but as I was having my prayer time this morning a new thought poured in. I got really excited about it and thought I would share it with you.

Disclaimer: Gentlemen readers…I love you all dearly and I want you to understand that this passage is about the importance of women in Jesus’ life.

Jesus came into this world through a woman. He was not created out of dust or whirlwind or shot from heaven on a beam of light. Mary had an encounter with the Holy Spirit and the result was Jesus. God announced the coming of Jesus through an angel to His earthly mother, Mary.

Later in the gospel story of the woman at the well, Jesus tells her who He is. He really doesn’t tell His disciples who He is point blank, but leads them to deduce His identity.

Fast forward to the tomb. These two women have come to tend the Lord. The disciples have all fled and are in an upper room somewhere and who gets the news from the angel? Mary Magdalene and Mary, the Mother of Jesus.

An angel announces the coming of Jesus to Mary at His conception and an angel proclaims His resurrection to His mother, Mary. Wow!

Jesus came for the outcast, the marginalized, the down trodden. Women at that time were considered second class citizens. I find it so ironic that these announcements were not made to kings, heads of state, wise men or even priests in the temple. God chose women, a down trodden class to announce His coming and proclaim the resurrection. God trusted these two women who had followed Jesus to go and tell the disciples that their Lord was risen just as he said.

Is God’s plan any different for us? Maybe there weren’t heavenly beams of light and angels present, but the message was still very clear. God trusts each of us, men and women, with the same mission and message: Tell everyone you know that I am here! What a joyous journey God has planned for each of us.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes, count your blessings and say your prayers. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: