Saturday, April 24, 2010

Greetings from Wichita Falls!

Happy Saturday! Early rising makes for lots of coffee drinking! The coffee pot seems to always be hot here at the church where the food prep is done to be taken into the prison. Today I have cut up strawberries and sauced five pans of brisket. I know there is more to come, but for the moment I am finished and taking time to write.

I have been given two prayer partners who are two of the men participating on the weekend. One of them is reported to be absolutely on fire for God and the other is reported to be illiterate and feeling very outcast and alone. Isn’t it interesting that this teacher is given as a prayer partner someone who cannot read or write? I have often questioned throughout this journey why I am serving in this capacity. Maybe this is one of the reasons. I think the most amazing thing is that these two men who do not know me are praying for me, too. Wow!

If any of you are wondering abut life on the inside let me share something with you. We (on the outside) are so blessed with so many things and we absolutely take them for granted. Last night the meal taken into the unit was grilled hamburgers with all of the fixin’s. These men never get hamburgers and I think we were told that one of participants ate 5 burgers. But the biggest hit of the night was fresh sliced tomatoes. Report came back that said that they just stood and stared at the plates of these beautiful tomatoes and the tears started to flow. Makes me a bit ashamed when I am not grateful for the bounty of which I am blessed when these men have nothing.

Exodus 15: 13 “In Your steadfast love You led the people whom You redeemed; You guided them by your strength to your holy abode.”

God, through the leadership of Moses, led the nation of Israel out of the land of Egypt to live on His holy mountain of Mount Sinai. The Israelites came out of slavery into freedom and were called to live in the presence of God. For the Israelites, the holy abode of God was Mount Sinai.

When we receive Jesus we walk out of an old life and begin a new life with Jesus as our Lord and Savior. We are called to live in Him. The holy abode of Jesus is in our hearts. We do not have to travel to a mountain to be in the presence of God.

God sent His holy Presence to earth in the form of Jesus so that we could know Him. Jesus lived and walked among living, breathing people. We become His holy abode because He dwells within us. And today, within the walls of a maximum security prison surrounded by razor wire and sharpshooters in towers, dwells the presence of God because His people are within those walls sharing the Word, praying and worshiping.

I ask you to be in prayer with me and the team that works outside the prison and the team that brings God’s Word inside. I ask you to pray that these outcast and forgotten ones learn that they do not have to go to God, that God is there with them and will dwell with them forever.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes, count your blessings and say your prayers. Love you all, Bruce and Gaylene.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: