Saturday, January 23, 2010

Happy Saturday!

I spent the day in Tyler with Geni and Travis and the Happening community and Steering Committee. I announced my resignation from the steering committee due to more demands being made on my time with teaching school, being a seminary student, having a husband, family and house to care for and I am going to serve on the upcoming Kairos weekend with Bruce and Geni. Travis has a Saturday class this semester and will be unable to attend all of the trainings and the majority of the weekend. Sometimes it is time to move on as the Spirit leads. Happening gave me an opportunity for spiritual growth and leadership and to meet, serve and love some wonderful people. Travis is the chairman of the steering committee with his sister sitting by his side taking notes on everything that is said. I am so proud of my children and the spiritual growth and leadership this movement has afforded.

John 6: 2 “Do not be afraid. I am here.”

As I celebrated Eucharist today with the Happeners and adult sponsors I shared with them this message. If you are a Happener, were at the meeting today and a reader of this journal then you have already heard this message. This is the message I prepared for the Happeners.

Announcements, Promises and Impossible Situations

This has been a tough week and a half for the people in the nation of Haiti. They have experienced devastating destruction, loss of life and separation from those they love wither by death or geography. So let’s talk about some other tough situations faced by people from the Bible.

Noah. Now here is a man who heard from God with the message, “build me a boat.” The world had become corrupt and God wanted to start over by saving this righteous man, his family and two of the animals. This appears to be an impossible situation and yet God brought good from evil and promised when the Noah family reached dry land that He would never again destroy the earth with water again. He placed the rainbow in the sky to seal His covenant with Noah. I can only imagine the faith of Noah as he began this enormous task and God saying, “Do not be afraid. I am here!”

Fast forward to Abraham and Sarah. Being told in their advanced age by angels sent from God that when they return in a year, Sarah and Abraham would have a son. Sarah and Abraham laughed at this seeming impossibility. For me the thought of starting over and raising a child at 54 is a bit of a stretch, but if I was in my eighties…that would be scary. Well, God, true to His Word, provided Abraham and Sarah with a child. Again, God must have told them, “Do not be afraid. I am here.”

Fast forward again to Jesus and the disciples. The disciples are out on the sea in a boat and see Jesus walking on the water and Jesus calls out to them saying, “Do not be afraid. I am here.” As soon as Jesus got in the boat the disciples reached their destination.

In Haiti this past week, the resident’s world was destroyed. My faith forces me to believe that although God did not cause this disaster to occur I must believe that God was in the midst of the terror and the evidence of His presence is in all of the rescue teams, the telethons, donations given and prayers prayed from around the world. I must believe that God’s strong promise from the gospel of John “Do not be afraid. I am here.” And God will be with the nation of Haiti as they rebuild and begin again.

We all face many decisions and changes in our lives. Let us take comfort in the passage written for all of us “Do not be afraid. I am here.” Claim this verse when the world seems to be crumbling around you and claim this verse when the way seems impossible.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes, count your blessings and say your prayers. Love you all and see you in church, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: