Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Happy Wednesday!

It has been a long day as all of my Wednesdays are, but it has been a really good day. In my ethics class this afternoon I actually understood most of what the professor was speaking about. Maybe some of this ethical theory is beginning to make some sense. Today I heard the words, God’s grace, God’s love, God’s self- revelation in Jesus Christ, the Sermon on the Mount and the Ten Commandments. And the best news of all is that the paper that was due next Wednesday has been moved to November 4. An extra week; YEA!

Revelation 3:20 “Behold, I stand at the door and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him and will sup with him, and he with Me.”
Isaiah 55: 3 “Incline your ear, and come unto Me: hear and your soul shall live.”

The holiday season is rapidly approaching and that means a time for feasting. Next week, children will feast on candy and treats in celebration of Halloween. A few weeks later we will celebrate Thanksgiving with family and friends (another reason to eat). This is followed by Christmas and many parties which involve food, friends and family. There seem to be lots of opportunities to eat. Whether you go to another home as a guest or host a gathering at you home, somebody is going knock on your door and you will welcome them into your home or you will be welcomed. We knock expecting to be invited inside and experiencing the excitement and anticipation of the gathering awaiting you inside.

In anticipation of all of these celebrations we will prepare our homes. We will clean, cook, decorate and make our homes as inviting as possible to receive our guests or to be received as a guest.

When Jesus knocks on the door of our hearts it is the response to the longing of our hearts for Him. Jesus will always knock first and wait to be invited inside. He will not burst through the door and shout surprise and catch us unprepared. God is always ready to enter our lives and show His love for us. When Jesus enters our lives, He invites us to His table. He dines with us and is the preparer and provider of the food. Jesus provides His unconditional love, forgiveness, grace, tender mercies and compassion. He does not prepare the meal and leave, Jesus sits and dines with us.

We come to the table in whatever state Jesus finds us. But each of us comes to the table as ones who are in need of the meal that only a King can provide. Now I am pretty good cook, but I could never place on the table anything that will satisfy comparably to what the King of Kings and Lord of Lords has already placed before me.

Listen for the knock at the door. On the other side there may be an invitation to a banquet hosted by the King and He is inviting us to be His guest.

Take joy in the journey, carry an umbrella and wear a sweater. Love you all so very much, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: