Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Romans 10:17 “So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God.”

In preparing for the Burton Fellowship and Prayer Group Summer Edition, I went to the daily journal which we have been going through since Spring Break: God Calling. The title of the lesson for today is “Expect the Good”. Sometimes my attitude of faith does not expect the good. It projects a tough time either emotionally, mentally, physically or a spiritual testing of my faith. God’s Word says just the opposite. I am not to look beyond the day given to me.

I know I have said this before, but when a child is lost, everything changes. This type of loss causes me to think about everything differently because nothing is the same as it was before the loss. For each holiday and each celebration where Casey was with us last year and all of his life, this year I find myself without the same glad expectation as in the past. I usually get to gladness, but it takes a while and then, when the actual event occurs, I enjoy the family and friends, but there is still a piece missing that keeps me from experiencing the fullness of joy I once experienced. I am not claiming the expectant attitude of faithful joy and gladness to which I have been taught by the Word and its inspired writers to experience.

This coming Thursday would have been Casey’s 25th birthday. And as I was meditating on this passage of scripture I knew God meant for me to think of this upcoming event. Birthdays are a big event in our house. There is always dinner at the honoree’s favorite restaurant or their favorite dinner prepared at home and red velvet cake with cream cheese icing. Geni and Travis have already asked how we will celebrate Casey’s birthday this year. I am not sure yet, but if there are birthdays in heaven then Casey will celebrate his 25th birthday with Jesus at the table of grace with joy that that we might only be able to imagine.

So I guess the question for the day is: How am I going to greet Thursday? Will I greet the day with a sense of sadness and loss? I probably will spend some time in remembering the day of his birth and think about how I wish he was still here to eat red velvet cake and grilled bourbon chicken. But I am also going to pray, beginning now, that I will not expect a day of sadness, but will claim with joyful trust that this is going to be a good day. The same God of love who was there on that blessed day in June 25 years ago and on that darkest day back in October, is the same loving, compassionate and merciful God who will be with me today and each day. The living God, giver of every good and perfect gift will grant comfort and joy all in the same breath.

Take joy in the journey. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: