Monday, May 4, 2009

Happy Monday! This vacation is still a bit weird, but I am adjusting. I worked on my paper, did some house cleaning and laundry and changed some of the flowers in the front yard. Bruce and I went out to run a couple of errands this afternoon and upon our return home we discovered that we were without electricity. Oncor came out very quickly and it was determined that a squirrel grounded the circuit breaker to the transformer and shut down our house. So we now have a fried squirrel in the backyard.

Tomorrow Bruce is going to install some window boxes planted with the flowers I have picked out. I have found out that several other teachers have been doing unexpected projects with the time we are not at work. My prayers are with those families who are experiencing the flu within their homes and for those families who have had to make alternate arrangements for child care for their children during this week.

Luke 22:27 say, “Who is more important; the one sitting at the table or the one serving? You think the one at the table is more important, but I am like a servant among you.”

Max Lucado relates that the washing of feet was not only relegated to the servants of the house, but to the lowest servant. The servant at the bottom or perhaps the last hire was the one who was on his knees with the basin and towel. At the Last Supper Jesus became that servant. He did not prepare and serve the meal or even clear away the dishes. No, Jesus took on the role of the lowest servant of all and washed the feet of the disciples. Those feet that wore “Jesus sandals.” Those feet that walked hot, dusty roads. Those feet that visited with farmers out in their fields where sheep and cattle grazed (obviously not in Texas!). Those feet that walked out into the lakes and seas and fished with the local fishermen. Those were some nasty feet! No wonder the lowest of the low servants got that job.

And here is Jesus, King of all the world, the one who fashioned the moon and stars, the one who created the mountains and the seas, the one who created the animals of the land and the birds of the air and all of us, “the one who one day all nations will bow before” (Max Lucado) there He is on His knees washing away the filth of the day! Jesus was on His knees kneeling before the disciples just a few short hours before His death and for what - just to wash away the dirt of the day, as a model for the forgiveness of sins or just to say my friends, I love you?

If the giver of all life and creation can kneel before His closest friends and wash away the filth of the day, what can we do for others just to say I love you?

Just throwing it out there. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

PS The paper goes in tomorrow. Bruce is doing a once over twice before submission. Please pray for both of us. Love, gc

By the way, I don’t want to start any rumors. We managed to get hold of Earthlink today. They were having technical difficulties when we were down. They are still in business and, according to the person I was communicating with, are doing well. They assured me that there would not be another incident where we did not have internet service. Bruce

1 comment:

Al Rearick said...

Thanks for "throwing that out there." You've given me a new perspective on what Jesus did that night.

Love,
Al