Thursday, February 26, 2009

Happy Thursday!

Psalm 46:10 says, “Be still and know that I am God.”

My daddy used to tell me that I talk too much. Then one day I told him to remember that is how I make my living. But in my next career, as a hospital chaplain, I am going to be called on to listen far more and talk less. I guess that is why this scripture keeps coming back to me.

In the story of the transfiguration, Jesus is transfigured into His heavenly being. He speaks with two other citizens of heaven in Elijah and Moses. Peter and John are witness to this phenomenal event. John seems to be completely and totally reverent. But Peter…Peter cannot deal with silence. Peter has never been able to deal with silence until after the crucifixion of Jesus. This amazing act plays out before Peter’s very eyes and Peter runs his mouth. Peter says, “Jesus let us make three booths; one for You, one for Moses and one for Elijah. “ Oh, Peter!

And then Jesus says the worst thing possible to Peter, “don’t tell anybody.” OMG!! Peter has been sworn to silence. Can you imagine the turmoil going on inside Peter? Peter has just seen a glimpse of heaven and he cannot tell anyone. This is the same Peter who confesses that Jesus is the Christ. This is the same Peter who says, “I will die for you.” Well, we all know how that turned out! I picture Peter like some of the children in my classroom who refuse to raise their hands and just blurt out answers constantly.

Peter could not deal with silence. He could not be quiet before. He was so devoted to Jesus and I am not sure that even though Peter confessed that Jesus was Christ, the Son of the living God that he realized that Jesus was God. Perhaps if Peter had this true realization then he would have been more awed in the presence of the transfigured Jesus. My point is that sometimes we learn more by listening than talking. In my quiet time I am adding a time of quietness; no radio, no voiced prayers, no music, no recorded devotion, just a quietness to let the spirit of God enter my thoughts and meditating on His Word.

When Jesus needed to pray, He went to a quiet place and was quiet before His Father. Jesus knew the awesomeness of His Father. When the disciples were busy in the ministry and did not take time to eat, Jesus called them away for a time of prayer and quiet meditation so that they might be in the presence of the Heavenly Father in a “quiet time.”

I used to have my quiet time before I went to bed. But now I begin my day with time with God. Lately, I have been praying to God to remind me to turn to Him when the situations of the day get difficult and asking for an extra measure of grace and renewed strength. God will give us what we ask for if we make ourselves an open vessel to be filled with His godly qualities and His gracious blessings.

For someone who makes their living on their feet and talking I really have to work on this “quietness.” Maybe this is my focus in my Lenten journey. What is your focus for Lent? Can you be quiet and let God talk to you?

Take joy in the journey. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

1 comment:

Al Rearick said...

Gaylene, whatever you do, DON'T be quiet!!! When I see you and Bruce, I know there is joy in the journey! It's like you guys are God's tour guides on this side of Heaven, helping us to walk with Jesus. I know you're not perfect, but y'all are definitely grace-full.

I loved your perspective on the Transfiguration. I can see you as Peter, wanting to do something for the Lord, and that certainly is not a bad thing. Too many of us are too content to be like James and John and just sit in the background waiting for someone to tell us what to do, but Peter showed great faith in recognizing the importance of what was happening. At least he said something; right or wrong, he showed great faith.

In so many ways, Peter is my hero in the Bible, someone I wish I could be: a man of great faith who doesn't know when to shut up, whose mouth gets him into trouble a lot, but recognizes that he needs Jesus and wants to serve him in as many ways as possible.

As I said, speaking of people who need to shut up and listen.....

Love,
Al