Thursday, February 26, 2009

Blessed Ash Wednesday! We went to Ash Wednesday service this evening. I love the Lenten journey. It is always a time to absolutely center myself on God and His work in my life. The study for the weeks of Lent is in prayer. I am looking forward to the study each week as we walk the Lenten journey.

Jonah 2:9 says, “I will sacrifice unto thee with a voice of thanksgiving…”

Lent is 40 days. Have you ever noticed that times of preparation seem too often times involve the number 40…forty days; forty years etc…Times of preparation are not always pleasant. They are sometimes downright difficult! But if God brings you to it then He will see you through it. Jonah was in the whale for 40 days, Jesus went into the desert for 40 days and the nation of Israel wandered for 40 years.

The most interesting aspect of the jaunts in the wilderness is that these people were set apart for God’s purpose and after their 40-something experience they emerged prepared for the task God set before them. I think what all of these people learned in their wilderness experience was obedience and commitment. I am sure they griped, moaned and groaned (except Jesus). After all, how many of us say “I can’t wait to walk for 40 years in the desert without a compass or map and no food, while repeating snakes and scorpions are our friends, snakes and scorpions are our friends.” Or , “I have always wanted to spend time in the belly of a fish.” That would give a whole new meaning to bongo breath!!

The season of Lent is a time of sacrifice to reminding us of the sacrifice of Christ made for us. When we are in the wilderness what we have to sacrifice is our will. We will be asked to trust God and walk in obedience. Instead we usually wander about aimlessly and balk at what God has to say and try to walk the road alone and follow our own path. These efforts usually prove to be frustrating.

I am continuing to read the book Cast of Characters by Max Lucado. The subtitle is: Common People in the Hands of an Uncommon God. One of the quotes from the book is “God’s efforts are strongest when our efforts are useless.” When we begin to listen and follow God’s plan, then the road may not be easy, but it will smooth out because now because we have a clear direction, walking in obedience and are allowing God to be in control. And just maybe along the way we can learn to say thanks for the times of difficulty because the lessons we are learning are preparing us for whatever mission God is has planned for us later in this life. The apostle Paul was on a missionary trip to Spain and along the way he landed in a Roman prison. Instead of making it to Spain, Paul decided to write some letters. Think about it…

Take joy in the journey friends. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

PS Happening applications are due soon. Hurry!!

No comments: