Saturday, November 15, 2008

It has been a wonderful Saturday. Part of the day was spent doing regular Saturday stuff. After Bruce and Travis got off work we went to see the new James Bond movie. It was great. We had a great time and that is what I wanted for my birthday. I just wanted to spend time with Bruce, Geni and Travis. We had a wonderful time. (Daniel Craig makes a good James Bond. He is no Sean Connery, but who is?! I think Sean Connery could just stand and read the phonebook and I would be completely taken).

As I have been reading through websites of Christian literary agents, they all recommend that the writer needs to read a lot of the type of writing of which you are planning to submit. I read and listen to several different types of devotional materials. Most of the time, I read the scripture and the meditation and then apply it to my own life and what I need to hear. Then I pray for God to send the words to my head, heart and hands. I ask for God’s inspiration as I write and hope that I will listen and let the Holy Spirit lead and guide my thoughts. Today I was listening to a drive-time devotion about being joyful even when it is difficult to be joyful.

Nehemiah 12: 43 says, “The people offered many sacrifices that day and were happy because God had given them joy. The women and children were happy. The sound of happiness in Jerusalem could be heard far away.”

I love red. It has always been my favorite color. I teach first grade so I often think in colors of red, yellow and blue, but red has always been my favorite. In my drive-time devotions this morning the reference to the color red was “scarlet.” Then it went on to site references throughout scripture of red as the color of blood and the speaker talked of “scarlet assurance.”

Moses told the Hebrew nation to paint the door posts of their homes to the angel of death would pass over them in the night. Rahab, the prostitute, placed a scarlet cord outside the window of which she helped Joshua escape. Proverbs tells of the woman who, when it snows, does not worry, for her children are covered in scarlet. There are many other references to red and the ones I have cited all speak of protection.

Each night as I come to my “nighty-nights” to God, I pray that God would protect this house from harm and enemy. As I thought about this prayer I thought about the two places on our roof that leak. And then I thought about my own heart. There are times that I have a huge hole in my heart that is filled with hurt, or sorrow or fear. It is at those times I come closer to God and He fills that large space with His love, grace, tender mercies or whatever blessing or gift I need to receive as a balm for my wounded soul. But then there are times that there are cracks in my soul. Sort of like the cracks in my roof. It is through the cracks in my soul that Satan sneaks in and works overtime to steal my joy and cause brokenness. It is at those times I find fault with my family, my students, my job - nothing but tiny, little bitty, nit-picky things that cause brokenness within myself and with those I hold most dear.

We can be joyful in all situations because of the “scarlet assurance” of Jesus Christ. The blood of Jesus is the scarlet assurance of His love for us. We don’t have to paint sacrificial blood on our doors or put out red ribbons so that evil passes over us. We as believers in Jesus are covered 24/7 and 365 in the crimson blood that poured from Jesus on that cross. That blood is always there to protect us. We cannot wash it off for we are washed in the blood of the lamb. We have the scarlet assurance of Jesus as we are sealed with the cross of Christ forever.

So tonight when I say my “nighty nights”, I will give thanks for the scarlet assurance that seals the cracks in my soul so that Satan might not enter. Satan cannot enter where the love of God is present. Give thanks for the blood of Jesus that covers us, protects us and promises us everlasting love.

Take joy in the journey friends. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

1 comment:

Jan said...

Happy Birthday Gaylene.........
I read your blog everyday even if i do not make a comment. Your writings come right from your heart and they always inspire me.

love Jan