Sunday, November 9, 2008

Greetings from Austin St.

Hello to all on this beautiful Sunday. I completed and sent off my mid-term. Praise God!! I am not a very scholarly writer, but I think I answered the questions. Dr. Jones has been so very patient in allowing me to get caught up from the last month of drama and trauma in our lives. Now I just have to write one more response paper to one of our readings, write a lengthy personal theological statement and take a final. I also need to get caught up on my grading and then I am caught up – but the end of the six weeks is Friday. Please offer up a prayer that I can accomplish everything I need to do in the time in which I have to do it. Starbucks will make money on Gaylene this week!!

Psalm 46: 1 says, “God is our refuge and our strength. He always helps in times of trouble. Vs. 10 says, “Be quiet and know that I am God.” Stuff happens. Are we prepared for the “stuff” that happens in life? This week we had stuff happen; cars with expensive repairs and Travis with injuries, mid-term exams to be taken etc... Cars and mid-terms are “stuff.” Travis’ injuries will just take time to heal. I was mostly prepared for the mid-term. I studied, but it was several weeks ago when I began to prep for this test and then Casey died and all study came to a screeching halt. Financially we were not prepared for the repairs, but we had an extra car and everyone got to work and school on time (an ever present help in times of trouble!).

Travis’ injuries will heal over time as football is over with now and the strain of snapping the ball a gozillian times per week and not going up against 300 pound linemen a gozillion times per week is over. But in the serious life altering situations of life are we prepared? Sometimes it seems that there are too many situations that pile up one on top of the other and we just want to run and hide. God gives a place to run and hide. He promises in His Word, in this psalm that He is our refuge and our strength. He is there in times of trouble. When we “hide” in Him we can center ourselves on Christ. It is at those times He asks us to “Be still and know that He is God.” When we center ourselves on Christ we will experience the power of His holiness and healing grace. As we are healed and become whole again from whatever brokenness we are experiencing we will be called on to respond on in the ways of faith. We become the center of God’s story as we center ourselves on Christ. The faithfulness of God is within us and we experience newness of life. For that which was broken is now healed and becomes a new venue for which God to work.

Our family is experiencing broken hearts and an overwhelming sense of loss. We have been through many changes in the last year and a roller coaster ride of emotions. And God, through His Word, His healing love, the kindness of His earthly children is slowly healing us by His grace. Perhaps He is making us fit to help others who have lost loved ones. I am not sure of God’s exact plan for us, but I do know He expects us to listen and be taught by Him whatever will prepare us for the ministry He has planned. No matter what, He expects us to respond in faithfulness to whatever he puts before us. As our Pastor Marc said this morning, “We are called to respond to the changes in our lives in faithfulness not in expletives! “

The words of the psalmist are so comforting, “Be still and know that I Am God”. Take some time to be still and quiet and let our heavenly Father speak to you, teach you, heal you and let you know He loves you. Your journey might take a brand new direction.

Take joy in the journey. Love you all friends, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.
Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

2 comments:

kimmy said...

Amazing,
breathless,
overwelming,
powerful,
words.

once again god has spoken thru you gaylene, god be with you.

(little humor) get the vinti size from star bucks they last longer. haha

love ya,
kimmy

Al Rearick said...

I genuinely feel sorry for people who don't get to hug y'all. There are people that, when you hug them, you feel as if you are being embraced by a separate set of Arms. That's how it is with you guys, especially now.

I can only hope that I can pass that gift on to others.

Love,
Al