Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Happy Tuesday to all. Two down and three to go(days, that is)!! The week before a holiday is always a bit more hectic. But with a few extra activities planned and an extra trip or two to Starbucks the rest of the week should go fairly smoothly.

Hebrews 12:1-2 says, “So let us run the race that is before us and never give up…Let us look only to Jesus, the One who began our faith and who makes it perfect.” Last Thanksgiving I did not cook. It was a first for me in pretty much all of my adult life. However I did have Thanksgiving dinner with all of the trimmings. Last year our Thanksgiving dinner was held in a beautiful park on the second floor of MD Anderson Cancer Hospital. Dinner was ordered from Luby’s and two families gathered together to give thanks. We did not give thanks for the reasons we were in Houston, but we did give thanks that we were there surrounded by family, great food and the love and grace of God.

Casey had been in treatment for cancer for just three weeks at Thanksgiving. Casey loved holidays. He loved the food and he loved being surrounded by family. But mostly Casey loved being at home. In a situation where one has little control over anything, Casey refused to return to MDA for longer than an overnight visit for fear that they would make him stay. It was one of his fondest desires to be home for Thanksgiving and Christmas this year since all of the major holidays were spent away from home last year. Casey never lost sight of that desire. As I ponder this scripture, Casey ran the race with all of his heart, soul, mind and strength. He just crossed the finish line earlier that we had hoped. This year Casey will sit at the table of thanksgiving and celebrate with the One who began the journey with him and greeted him when he crossed the finish line. Casey will not sit at our Thanksgiving table this year, but knowing he will sit at The Thanksgiving Table forever brings a smile to my face. We will miss him, but knowing he is in heaven with Jesus and my mamo makes me happy. I’ll just bet there are fried pies on that table.

Jesus authors our faith. Faith is a gift from God through Jesus. Bruce and I were talking last night. I still have moments of sadness and tears, but they are moments and then I think of a happy memory and I feel better. I have heard or read the stages of grief. I am not in denial and I am not angry. I just miss Casey. The faith that I have in God is that Casey will never come again to 811 Austin St., but someday I will go to him. He will never come to our house again, but he is home. He was God’s child first and only on loan to us for a short time. He is surrounded by the ultimate loving family. As long as I keep my eyes on Jesus I have peace and can give thanks with a grateful heart.

Run the race with the perfect faith of Jesus Christ.

Take joy in the journey. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: