Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Happy Monday! Was it a gorgeous day or what?! Travis is home safe and sound and a bit tired. However his luggage went on to Chicago. We are supposed to call the claims department at 12:30 am and check on it and the luggage is supposed to be delivered at 3:00 am. Our luggage is still having a great time!! The Lamar Choirs took Grand Champion Honors at the competition. Congratulations choirs!

Luke 5:5 says, “We worked hard all night…and we caught nothing.”

Jesus is speaking on the shores of Lake Galilee and the crowd had gotten so large that he got into Simon’s boat and continued to teach the people. After he had finished teaching Jesus told Simon to go into the deep water and cast his net. Simon said, “But Lord,…”

How many times do we say, “but Lord…I can’t …” How many excuses do we make for not doing what God asked us to do? I have felt the call to seminary for a long time and each time I told God I could not because I was too busy, I had young children, I already had a job, and I already served Him without a degree etc... After all, I had been through the two year Parish Lay Ministry Academy and I was serving as I believed I was being called. You see, I was not living in faith and obedience. I was resting on laurels and not growing in Christ and His plan for me. So finally, I surrendered to the will of God and applied to seminary and was accepted. Now during the first semester is when Casey became ill and I withdrew from classes. But I went back to seminary the next semester. God has blessed my time at seminary. I still have a long way to go, but I know God wants me there and I am walking in obedience to His will and call for my life. Believe me I still have much to learn, but I am growing in knowledge and I really love what I am studying.

When we offer God our excuses for not doing as He asks then we walk out of fellowship with the One who created us and knows us best. God loves us so much and is relentless when it comes to shaping our lives to His highest purpose. When Simon finally surrendered he told Jesus, “But You say to put the nets in the water, so I will.” You know the rest of the story. The nets held so many fish that Simon had to summon other fishermen from their boats to help bring in the catch.

Peter rested on his laurels as an experienced fisherman instead of living in faith with Christ in obedience to his calling. When Peter surrendered to Jesus and followed His will then the catch was enormous. When Peter allowed the Lord to lead him to deeper waters Jesus showed Peter that he must be willing to get outside his comfort zone and step out on the faith to let Jesus lead his life. Jesus was trying to show Peter a glimpse of his future. Peter was not to remain a local fisherman. Peter was to become a fisher of men far and wide.

So I guess my question is…are we willing to let Christ grow Himself in us enough to be faithfully obedient to His word for our lives without any “but Lord…” (in your best whining voice!)? Are we willing to say, “Here I am Lord, because you say it I will do it?”

Take joy in the journey friends. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: